Major update: XODA-0.7.0Written by betso at in "Releases" and also in "News".
People have asked already whether the project is still alive.
The short answer is: Yes, it is!
The long answer requires probably some justification about the long update periods. It has to do with the history of the project. I wrote it initially to serve the needs I had. And for about 10 years it does. Most additional stuff was added because of requests and not because I needed it. With the time, XODA became feature-rich. This and the fact that development requires time, which I don't have in abundance, are the main factors for the slow release cycle. It took particularly long time to get to 0.7.0 because there were several things that I wanted to get done before releasing it.
Here are the changes:
- The codebase was audited and rewritten to comply with HTML5.
- Security in storing passwords was greatly improved now using
password_hash ()for creating strong one way encryption.
- Sharing files and directories (with optional password protection, editing, and expiration date/time) was implemented.
- Symlinks are now supported.
- Markdown can be used for writing descriptions.
- Pure-CSS framework is used in an attempt to achieve responsive design.
- Some changes of the design were made.
- ACE Text Editor was removed.
- Simple Timeline feature was implemented.
- The icons are now pulled from Font Awesome.
- Several bugs were fixed.
Implementation of sharing files and directories was something I wanted to have for a long time. I have tested it for quite a while now and it worked for me. Don't hesitate to let me know if you find any malfunctions with that!
The other feature I always thought of as being important is support for symlinks. That is now implemented and worked for me as well.
I decided to switch the icons to
Font Awesome because of the commitment provided by the team. At that time I realized that I can actually get also the file type icons from the font rather than using external icon files. And to make things more fun, I colored them differently, so now they are defined in
config.php and this list is easily expandible.
Several months with multiple pauses went through since I started working on 0.7.0 and now I don't remember any release with more thanges than this one.
Get it and let me know if you like it!